Tuesday, September 27, 2011

New Ideas

I can't tell you where it came from.  I didn't read it in a book or research article and I can't tell you why I didn't think of it sooner.  My strength is in literacy instruction.  I use workshop models for both writing and reading instruction (for math too but I'm still tweaking that one). An important part of our Writers Workshop time is Author's Chair.  Students share a piece of writing with the class.  The other students act as an audience and a sounding board for their classmates.  Each child who shares receives at least 3 compliments on their work and then 2-3 suggestions for how they might improve their writing.  Classmates are incredibly kind to one another during this time and come up with wonderful comments and questions. It's my favorite time of the day. Everyone learns something new whether they are the sharer or the audience.  It's a powerful part of the Writers Workshop model.  As we were completing our Readers Workshop time it dawned on me that this group could do the same thing as readers so today I created Readers Chair.  I chose children to come and share about the reading they had done during our workshop time.  Anjela came up and shared about her favorite part of the book she was reading the pictures of (readers can read words but they also read pictures to determine the story). In her limited English proficiency she named each animal, insect, and child she saw in the pictures of the book.  Her classmates applauded her efforts and she beamed.  I look forward to more opportunities for Readers Chair, for students to feel empowered in their learning, and for students to feel encouraged by their classmates.  Readers Chair is a gift I didn't know we needed.

1 comment:

  1. A safe place to show one's work and be praised for it is so important. I believe kids, and adults for that matter, feel more comfortable receiving constructive criticism if they have first been told the good things about their work. We humans are all the same!

    And at the same time, it is good for us to learn to praise others for their strong points! What a great idea you had. Author's Chair. I love the name!

    You look darling in these pictures, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete