Thursday, September 29, 2011

Squirrel!

I borrowed part of this mission statement from the classroom of another teacher. I'm hoping that someday soon my little charges can live up to it.  I find myself quoting parts of it to the kids when certain situations arise, as they do. Everyday. All day.  This morning started out with a new student, her mother and her 18 month old brother, an arguement over turns on the swings that spilled over into the classroom from the playground, a call from the district office trying to determine which kids of the 45 that are listed on my computerized roster are actually in my class so that I can begin to record data for the standards based reporting pilot I so brilliantly volunteered for last spring, the principal stopping by to check on the new student, and...and...and... Such a disjointed day.  I felt befuddled and ineffective.  What is the point of calendar if the kids are not engaged and the only voice I hear counting is Alexa's? Should I switch Readers Workshop and Writers Workshop because with intervention starting my 2 neediest students would miss half of writing time which I believe is the key to language development and reading achievement?  What will the day look like if we don't start it writing? How do I squeeze in more than 20 3day lessons (according to the new adopted math materials) into the 6 week pacing guide sent out by the district 5 weeks ago? Is it good for my students to attempt to follow such a pacing guide? To whom am I most beholden? Get it together Ortner! Squirrel...

2 comments:

  1. Arg. I dislike hectic days! So many questions, with none of which I am familiar! :)

    I say... follow your instinct. It has always brought you far!

    Your mission statement is adorable, by the way. All those smiling faces. I'm thinking they always look that complacent and sweet? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot how tiny this age is.A fun age to help with their lives.I worked in EL Ed for a bit.
    Allison sent me by, I had fun looking over your first posts.

    ReplyDelete