Sunday, October 2, 2011

Ours


The other day we spent some time decorating the classroom.  Primary color handprints and personally decorated nametags adourn our indoor windows announcing to everyone who walks by who the leaners are in this room.  Pictures of faces glued to cut-out hands are taped to the door of room 105 so that you'll know who belongs to this room as you walk in. I love painting but mostly I love making the room ours. Last year I had a 1st grade mommy who helped us with all of our handpainting activities (miss you my Zenn) but this year it was up to me.  I had to work quickly because they had to stand on a chair in order to reach the table they had to stand on to reach the window, definitely not in regulation. It's not the only thing I do outside of regulation but the wee ones don't know that. And don't worry, I held tightly to each one while I applied the paint to their chubby fingers. Giggles escaped. Smiles beamed.  I'm not sure who had more fun. I learned a lot about my little charges while we painted. Conner's favorite color is blue. Ethan likes it when his dad tickles him on his toes.  Alexa lost her second front tooth last night. Kaylyn loves to paint more than anything else at school. To them it was just Fabulous Friday, decorating our room. Our room.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the pictures in this post, Debbie. They make your classroom come to life! Thank you for this! Sometimes you have to bend the rules a little to make life worth living - to bring a little joy into the ordinary. They will never forget you giving them a right to identity. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was standing in the hallway looking at all the little painted hands on your window. Wouldn't it be neat if a month before school gets out they put another print up over the one that is there now? This could signify not just their physical growth but their personal growth as well. Just an idea!

    ReplyDelete