Wednesday, October 26, 2011

OUR Pumpkin Patch

After attending the pumpkin patch field trip we were inspired to create our pumpkin patch in room 105.  But of course Mrs. Ortner HAD to make it a learning activity.  Last week we painted the pumpkin to give the kiddos a chance to make that big, sweeping motion with the paintbrush - good for fine motor development.

I put them up in "our pumpkin patch" by the window. Next I talked to the kids about setting; the place where the story happens, what you see in your mental images while reading, all the details you see when you are writing about a story in your head.  After discussing settings, I took the pumpkins out of the pumpkin patch and gave them back to the kids.  I asked them to draw in the setting of the pumpkin patch.  Here is what they came up with:

 
 With a few crayons and some background knowledge this is what my little charges can create!

Notice the detail of the vines



 

Oh and don't forget our science study of New Plants so take notice of the things that plants need to live: soil, roots, stems (the vine), light, and water. I love curriculum integration.  Mostly, I love it when a plan comes together!



2 comments:

  1. How adorable. Truly wonderful! Yay for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The creativity from these 6 and 7 year olds is amazing! My son still knows the parts of a pumpkin! His favorite part is the peduncle! What a wonderfully enriched lesson. Part of me wonders though, how did your pumpkin patch get so high on the wall? ;)

    ReplyDelete