Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sanctuary

I've been running since my senior year of college; 20+ years.  Running has been my greatest friend, my worst enemy, my task master, and my sanctuary.  My favorite time to run is early in the morning, before anyone else in the house is even considering waking up.  I gear up; including my head lamp, reflective vest, and pepper-spray, and run just under 4 miles during the week. On my solo runs, with music from my iPod blaring in my ears, I get some of my best thinking done. During those 40 minutes, my mind becomes my sanctuary. I figure out how to help students overcome their latest struggle, how to fit one more standard into my lesson, what to cook for dinner, what to say in a conversation I'm worried about having with Tom.  As the cool air brushes my cheeks and my breathing falls into a rhythm my mind is sparked with creativity solving all the problems of the world! At least that's what it feels like.  I haven't been able to run for 4 months due to a major surgery I had in August. My body can't handle the jarring of a run.  I've been walking but it's not the same.  This week I started swimming.  I swim efficiently enough for it to be exercise. The pool at the gym has become my sanctuary as I raise my arm, turn my head and kick, propelling myself across the pool.  There's a rhythm to it just like running. Stroke, stroke, stroke...breathe.  Stroke, stroke, stroke...breathe.  The water surrounds me like a cocoon, suspending my body while I glide through the lane.  It's not the same as running but I'm liking it more and more.  I find myself looking forward to it and plotting my activities for the week around my trips to the gym.  I am so thankful for the opportunity to exercise again.  It feeds my soul.  There's no music blaring in my ears and somehow my mind can only focus on the act of swimming instead of the effortlessness that running has become to me. All I can hear is the air I force out of my nose and the giant gasp as I turn my head and take in air after that third stroke.  Breathing in and breathing out.  I guess it's like running just without the world-saving ideas. I think I'm too busy (one) making sure I don't lose count (two) of my strokes (three) until I take that (gasp) breath.

2 comments:

  1. Yes! The rhythm of running is so soothing, like knitting. But swimming has scared me since we saw Jaws I when we were little, Debbie. Back in our Huntington Beach days! I still think of him propelling upward to bite off my legs... ergo, I run. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, once you have been swimming for a while, you will find that it too is automatic. During my time in the pool I was able to plan what Frat party I was going too, how I could make 7a.m. Saturday practice after being at the Frat party all night, and many of other things that run through a college athletes mind. Although losing count, ya that just happens! I am impressed with the 3 stroke breathing for sure. I hate three stroke breathing and my coach yelled at for years. I am so glad you are enjoying the comfort of the pool! ~ Lisel

    ReplyDelete