Wednesday, December 7, 2011

That Time of Year


our still life subject
It's the end of the calendar year but the school year has not quite hit mid-stride.  September is all about new routines.  October is assessment and conferences.  November is when I hit the academics with gusto.  Then comes December...

Me: Sentences end with a period.

First graders: Santa is coming!

Me: Subtraction means you take things away.

First graders: Santa and Rudolph are coming!

Me: New plants have five parts: seed, root, stem, leaf, flower.

First graders: We got our Christmas tree last night!

Me: A tree is like a plant.  One of the symbols of Christmas is the poinsettia plant.

First graders: I see the leaves on the poinsettia plant... and Santa is coming.  He's bringing me presents!

sketches outlined with black crayon
wax resist paintings




the finished product
Me: Let's get out the paints...

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this! Ha! I am laughing and smiling and visualizing Mrs. Ortner trying to keep a scholastic undercurrent to the Christmas madness. (I ended my sentence with a period just for you.) :D

    I love you Debbie!!!

    ReplyDelete